Monday, January 2, 2012

Ever have one of those days???

When I went out for my run this morning, I had only planned to go for an easy 3......just stretching the old legs out, shaking off the cobwebs left over from New Years, and getting the first run of the new year in the books.  As this is the last day of "vacation" before heading back to school tomorrow, I just figured I'd go really easy, then head home to take care off all the myriad things that need to be taken care to get ready for school.

So I put on a new pair of tights (got 'em at the New Balance Factory Outlet over the break) and my bright neon green longsleeve Reebok top (thanks, Barb!), laced up my NB 760's, and headed out.

The first 1.25 miles were mostly uphill, so I started easy and warmed up quickly.  The air temp was around 40, but the wind was gusting strong, making it feel about 10-15 degrees cooler.  I then doubled back, cruising back mostly downhill.....

And then something funny happened........

Instead of turning right and finishing up the run on the flats, I turned left and went looking for some hills.

I was feeling good, and wasn't ready to say goodbye to vacation just yet, so I kept going.  My pace was steadily between 9:30 and 9:50/mile and it felt comfortable.  While I NEVER fly over hills, I kept my pace steady and under control.  Finished with a nice dowhill past Ben's school and then I was finished.

Normally, I stick to my "plan", but this time I doubled up, running 6.1 instead of 3.  While my DailyMile widget seems to be adding my 2012 mileage to my 2011 mileage and calling it all "2012" (hope it's only a glitch that will be fixed soon!), it felt great to close out vacation and get a really good run in as the first run for the new year.  I'm so excited about the possibilities ahead for this year, so a good start feels that much better.

Thanks to all of my new readers........I love reading all of your blogs and hope that you enjoy my musings.  Hope you're all doing well and getting your running years off to good starts, too.   See you all out there on the road!

6 comments:

  1. You are off to an excellent start Bill! Here's to a great 20121

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the kind of runs I love! Nothing better than having a run go better than you expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when runs just "feel right", and the thought of just staying out and running seems like the most natural and perfect choice possible. Too bad it doesn't happen more often, but when it does.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a long while since I doubled a run, I might have ran an extended mile or two though. You mean to tell me that you actually "looked" for hills to run on? Mighty impressive man. Great Pace too, I hope that mine proceeds this year. Take care and have a good one. I will add your site to my blog as soon as I can, and I do follow now. Thanks for your comments as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been a long time since I've had one of those days.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My FAVORITE kind of run!

    Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for you :)

    ReplyDelete