Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What a difference a year makes.....

As it's my birthday today, I was just waxing nostalgic.......looking at posts I made last June, when I was starting to train for the Hartford Marathon.  Looking back now, it was probably the last time I felt "right" with my running......no injuries to deal with........no school-year stresses to deal with.........just a wonderful, restful summer to look forward to.

Here I sit, a year later.........and I haven't run since the Vermont City Marathon over Memorial Day weekend.....still dealing with occasional foot pain.........and dealing with an extra week of school due to all of the snow days we had this winter.   I would've started running again last week, but I was chaperoning our 8th grade trip to Washington, DC and didn't have a minute to spare.  Since I started running back in 2008, I haven't ever taken this long off.......

So once I start back running, it's almost as if I'm going back to the start.........and that's going to be a good thing.  I've kinda lost some of my enthusiasm for it, and I'm going to have to find it again.  My hope is that I'll be able to use this summer break as an opportunity to really hit the "reset" button, hit the gym with regularity to work on core strength and flexibility, while making the time to build back my running in a logical, systematic manner.  I look forward to having the opportunity to rediscover my love for running again........

Father's Day was really nice.......as it nearly coincides with my birthday, we went to my Dad's house and celebrated both together........my family got me a shiny new Kindle Fire!  It was completely unexpected....totally "off list"......and something I'm definitely going to love using!   I hope all of my running Dads had a great Father's Day, too!

That's all for now.........see you all out there on the road.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and glad you had a great Father's Day! Happy Belated Father's Day! Hope you enjoy some time off and have fun with that Kindle Fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!

    Maybe you need to try something a little different "exercise" wise to shake things up. P90X? ;-)
    I know a guy who ran his first marathon is just over 5 hours. After a couple of years of trying to bring the time down, he took almost a whole year off from running & did the P90x program not once but twice.
    Long story short....He has qualified for Boston two times since he did this with marathon times of 3:09 & 3:02. He's come a long way in 4-5 years.

    Don't give up the running totally but I would do something to shock my body & wake up some different muscles.

    Just my 2 cents....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big happy birthday Bill! It's been such a long school year - hoping you can find your running groove again once the summer break begins :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, enjoy the time off. Your body is telling you it needs it. You'll be back on the road before you know it.

    Happy Birthday again, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed your birthday! I started back to square one after my disappointing half in March...my week long vacation in Puerto Rico definitely had something to do with my non running rut! Hope you come back stronger than ever. Maybe get the foot checked out before seriously pounding the pavement??? Happy summer break! Mine begins June 26!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up on some reading and wanted to peek in and see how your injury recovery is going.

    I hope your foot is healing and you're back on the roads!

    ReplyDelete