Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Back again????

Well, kinda.......sorta......but am I really "back"?

Until today, I haven't run since 12/16..........and I haven't blogged since I don't know when, but as the year is coming to a close, I figured I'd have to jump back in and get back to doing these things I love....runnin' and bloggin'!

I'll save my 2012 recap for later, but it's been a great running year for me.  Unfortunately, it's ending on a less-than-positive note, as I've been battling with some plantar fasciitis in my right heel for the past few weeks.  I have a feeling it was brought on by my compensating for some strain I've been feeling in my left quad since starting back after the Hartford Marathon back in October.  I think I was just coming down way too hard on the right side and BANG, the PF monster reared its ugly head again.  When I weighed well over 300 pounds, PF was a nearly constant companion, but since losing the weight, I've been fortunate to not have to deal with that in over 6 years!

So after my run on 12/16, I decided to take some time off.  School was getting crazy busy, like it usually does right before the Christmas break, so it became pretty easy to just stop for a few days.....the idea being to just rest and let the PF subside.  Over the last few days, the pain has been receding rapidly, to the point I figured I could start running again.

And so I went out into the chilly air this morning for an easy 4-miler (ok, it was 3.86, but that rounds up to 4!)....never pushing.....just enjoying the quiet....and the foggy exhalations.  It felt good to get out again and I'm hoping to be able to get a few more runs in before New Years.  I'm running a 10K on New Year's Day (the 4th Annual First Run - Lowell, MA), so I know I'm getting 2013 off to a great start......it'll also provide me with a preliminary look at my fitness level leading into my next marathon training cycle.

Hope you're all doing well.....and that you've had a great time celebrating Christmas with family and friends.  I plan to share more of my ongoing adventures and I'm looking forward to sharing in all of your successes in the coming year!

See you all out there on the road........

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! And sending along wishes for a quick PF recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the PF recovery continues quickly! Have fun with that 10K - great way to kick off 2013! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the PF gets better soon. I would get my stride/gait analyzed. Could be the shoes or maybe you need inserts. Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you back! Miss your blogging. Good luck on your 10k new years day!!

    ReplyDelete